Friday, February 3, 2012

Vortex

Liberty bell and Merced river
Liberty bell and Merced river, Yosemite National Park, Christmas 2011. Buy a print.
Tech data for the nerds: Nikon D300, Tokina 11-16mm at 11mm, f/5.6, 1/60s, ISO 200 handheld
Google+ post. Same image on flickr.

This was from a late afternoon hike with my daughter to Nevada Falls on Christmas day. The image was processed in Lightroom 4 beta which is able to extract amazing amounts of shadow detail from images such as this. Normally I would have used a grad neutral density filter here but this was just a grabshot at the moment. I also created a black and white version of this that I really like:

Liberty bell and Merced river Black and White
Liberty bell and Merced river Black and White, Yosemite National Park, Christmas 2011. Buy a print.
Same tech data as above.

2 comments:

  1. its interesting how the sky changes blue density from the center to the outside of the image. Rather like polariser on wide angle does, but somehow different

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't remember using a polarizer here, but the 1/60s at f5/6 makes me think there might have been one on the lens as that seems slow for the sunlit peak in the background. I was carrying one that day and used it earlier on a waterfall to tone down a reflection.

    ReplyDelete